Friday, September 09, 2005

Ironweed, Thistles & MIOM


This is a photograph of some Ironweed (thank you Lee for correcting me) in a natural part of our backyard - usually there are a lot more prairie wildflowers .... not so this past Summer because of lack of rain. It is very dry. Indiana prairies are beautiful when the wildflowers are in bloom. Which leads into my MIOM project this week ....


Image hosted by Photobucket.com Is this kit beautiful? I received it as a gift from my girlfriend Lillian. I saw the photograph on the kit -- loved it the first second I saw it. Directions specify using 2 ply floss for CS & BS. Well .... I tried using two strands .... and it looked terrible. It was so bad, I pulled out another fabric (larger count) and stitched this up for Lillian's birthday (March).

Couple days ago, while seeking out a WIP for MIOM -- I came across this kit & contents. I frogged out everything & started over ... it was another failure. I tried a larger needle -- tried putting in tighter cross stitches. Terrible result. Sigh. Frogged it out again this afternoon. Now, am using ONE STRAND of floss and it looks terrific. I'm hip hopping along & cannot wait to get the whole design finished and mount this on the purple card (included with this kit).

Enjoy your weekend. Saturday is the Popcorn Festival in Valparaiso. Should be a nice event ; )

P.S. I don't know the count -- IMO too small a count for 2 strands. Chelle: The rabbit is a bead -- was a gift from gf's who went to a store in Michigan. Jenna: This was purchased in Scotland by my friend. (I've never been to Scotland) I'd love to see your BM. If you used 2 strands, I'll shoot myself. Karen: I've got all the thistle motifs done & added a border. It really came out nice. Today will get the edge done & sew it to the purple card. Update: Finished with a nun edge ; )

7 comments:

Chelle said...

Love the thistles, love the kit, love the colors, love it all! Glad you were able to figure out the one strand vs. two problem. What count fabric is it? One more question - is that a magnet and is it a rabbit? How cute is that? Enjoy your hip hopping and eat some popcorn for me. ;o)

Anonymous said...

Looks great so far, Lelia! I have a thistle bookmark from Textile Heritage Collection that I bought when I went to Scotland the first time. I'll have to find it and scan it for you to see sometime. :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely design :) I love the effect of one strand of thread - it's so much more delicate and no need to worry about railroading ;)

Carol said...

That thistle kit looks like it will be soooo fun to stitch!!

BeckySC said...

Ooh, fun stuff GF! Enjoy :)
I look forward to seeing the thistle project finished :)

Have a great weekend, friend :)

hugs :)

mainely stitching said...

I love thistles and this is such a great little chart! Glad you sorted out the problem. Usually the kits specify one thread when I think two would look better. Can't wait to see the finished project!

Cathy B said...

Purple is my favorite color. Please post a picture of this when you finish it. I love it!

Happy Stitching!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin