Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What is a "ciggie"?

As for the term "ciggie", which I used in my previous post, Pat was gracious to describe as: "For those inquiring, "Ciggies" are cloth images that crazy quilters use in their work. It refers to the cloth prints that were premiums in cigarette packs years ago to encourage sales, hence the word, "Ciggies". We also call them "silkies"."

Some on-line information about the early 1900's cigarette silks here, and here .

I'm looking forward to giving CQ a try!
---------------------------
I am still stitching on a sample for the 2009 State Day -- no photos for the blog.

I did finish up this:

As you can see, there is still a small sampler to stitch:I found my over dye fibers & would like to get the sampler stitched soon.

As for the pattern, I've had some inquiries and requests. Currently, I still need the picture & pattern. If you are interested, leave a comment here or send an e-mail. After I complete the sampler, I'll decide. It is out of print & the price was $6.00 -- not sure what it is going for on e-bay.

11 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

Thanks for answering my question!

I love crazy quilts, and would love to try my hand at it. Why don't I have more time?

Kathy A. said...

That is one lovely piece. Nice work

mainely stitching said...

I'm absolutely shamelessly going to ask to be considered for a next home for this very APT design.

Hey, thanks for the info on ciggies. Very cool. I'm going to ask my Dad about them the next time I have him on the phone. :)

Karin said...

Thanks for the explanation - great finish.

Sherry said...

After all my years of quilting, I didn't know that! What a great piece of trivia! Thanks for sharing!

Your stitching is lovely!

Sharon said...

Pretty finish!

mainely stitching said...

Hell again! My email to you seems to be bouncing, so I wanted to tell you that your emails to me have arrived just fine and to say thank you. :)

Karan said...

Very lovely piece. :0)
Interesting info on ciggies - I learn something new every time I visit your blog. :0)

Carol R said...

Please enter me into the draw for the pattern

Cathy B said...

Hi Lelia -- Love your little MG sampler. Are you going to finish it into a little pillow?

stitcherw said...

Peacemakers is looking lovely, the coloring is so pretty.
Sue

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin