Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Lacemaker


THE LACEMAKER
(De kantwerkster)
c.1669-1671
oil on canvas
9 5/8 x 8 1/4 in. (24.5 x 21 cm.)
The Louvre, Paris

This web page not only showcases the fabulous art of Vermeer, I found several links to lace & lacemaking. Loads of lace photos, lace pillows, background, links, and MORE. Web Site Here Follow the many links : )

Making Lace With Vermeer - Link Here
- - - - -
I can see why this book is an award winner.I checked it out from the public library & am enjoying it. Book Excerpt here. Web Site Here. I seem to be on a roll selecting some awesome books!

So, no stitching to report : (

3 comments:

geeky Heather said...

I have seen that painting in person and it is absolutely stunning.

That book excerpt is just wonderful! I'm going to add it to my to-read list...thanks for posting it!

Cathy B said...

Have you ever tried lacemaking? I'm always amazed at how they can keep all of those bobbins straight!

Anonymous said...

Keeping track of the bobbins is easy when you know how - however many you have on the pillow you only ever work with four at a time. They fall naturally to the next pin hole on the pricking, or to the place they should be worked so it isn't difficult to tell if you have made a mistake.

The painting is indeed beautiful, like the lace she is making.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin