Monday, January 22, 2007

Looking for linen ... found cat buttons & overdye fibers!

Did you read Vonna's blog about her linen ... effects from baking it??? And the results were very good! Kewl Beans. Check out her post & picture.

This is my ONE and ONLY try with Apricot Tea. it was a NANI challenge & I decided to use traditional blackwork motifs with non-traditional silk colors. I did manage to get the color I wanted with apricot tea bags & soaking in a large pan.

Does anybody want to be in an e-mail recipe exchange? If yes, send me an e-mail [link in sidebar] I have an e-mail & need to send it to ten people. I have a feeling most of the people I know already are involved. I do have a nice cookie recipe -- a very EASY recipe. So, let me know.

I spent the entire afternoon looking for a scrap of linen .... knew I had a piece of blue-green linen & the hunt was on. Meanwhile, found so many nice patterns, buttons, over dye fibers, etc. Found three cat buttons + the pattern that goes with them!! All in one bag : ) Found 'Moon Garden' pattern -- not sure if I have the linen & over dye stuff. What an enjoyable afternoon!! My closet has many treasures. I'm looking forward to getting some of these going in 2007.

Anna: if you like the LHN I'm working on [YES, there is a row of stitching on that linen - tho the photo is quite krappy] there is another one by LNS you might prefer (totally cute rabbits)

It is called Morning Berries.

Photo from the web site:

I saw this one AND I was so tempted to purchase it; however, opted to work on Herb Garden first!!

16 comments:

Crazee4books said...

Hi lelia, Thanks for responding to my question. Since that chart uses all DMC thread I can get those fairly easily at Michaels. I've been ordering from a LNS in Ottawa on line and the last 4 charts I ordered from them took 3 months to get here. I suspect that they forgot to place my order actually. I've just ordered some specialty threads, some fabrics, and a couple of charts from them and gotten a reply back saying that they'd have to order some of what I want. No time frame given. Sigh! Oh well, it's not like I haven't got anything to do in the meantime.
I read "Cold Mountain" a few years ago and enjoyed it, except...well, get back to me when you're done reading it and then I'll finish that sentence. Have you seen the movie? I haven't...yet.

stitcherw said...

That turned out lovely, your experiment with the tea bags turned out really good.
Sue

Chelle said...

I too was gobsmacked when I read about Vonna baking her fabric. The oven...it's not just for cookies any more. :o) I love how your fabric turned out with the apricot tea bags. Very kewl! I just did some coffee dying a few days ago and it turned out pretty well. I was mainly trying to cover running red floss dye. *Shudder* I'm happy to say it worked. Anyway, that NANI project is gorgeous! Sounds like you had a very pleasant afternoon sorting through your stash. What a fun way to spend the day! So did you find the blue-green linen and what are your plans for it?

Annemarie said...

I love your NANI project! Such gorgeous colours and such neat stitching!

barbara said...

It's unanimous - I love it, too! Great effect from the teabags. I've done the coffee-baking for primitive stitchery but I was too cautious and didn't get a very good result.

Anonymous said...

I love your tea bag dye job - it turned out really well. Love how you did the pillow finishing too :)

Von said...

Sometimes it's amazing what lovely things we already have in our stash that has been set aside!

Anonymous said...

I love the fabric you tea-dyed. It came out great.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Hey Lelia! Thanks for the blurb about my blog and my fabric baking!
It really does work GREAT! Looks even better in real life! You really need to try it....sometime.
I love your fabric that you did with the apricot tea...I bet it smelled delicious as well!

BeckySC said...

Another one that thinks the tea dyed fabric is wonderful :)

Melissa said...

Add me to the fan list! That looks awesome, Lelia! I also love that Morning Berries chart from LHN. I've been tempted by it so many times but keep telling myself I should stitch up the other 5 or 6 LHN charts I have first. LOL

Katrina said...

It turned out very nice! What a fun idea, now I am off to read on Vonna's blog :-).

Leah said...

Very, very nice!! How exactly is the NANI piece finished?

Cathy B said...

Apricot tea bags, huh? The final product looks great!

Jinger said...

Never heard of baking and basting your fabric in the oven!! Thanks for the link! Will have to try that soon.

Great job with your apricot tea!

Also, I love Morning Berries!!! Go for it!

CindyMae said...

I love the finishing on the pillow! It turned out fantastic! Aweseom tea dye job too!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin